query trouble

Guest edwinsweep

Guest edwinsweep
hi everybody
i have been messing with my php script trying to get it to work.
before trowing my monitor out of the window i thought maybe you guys know what is going on:)
its a small piece of script from a forum.
this peace of code delete's a complete topic from my forum and will also set the total number of replys back.
lets say my counter is on 15 for the amount of replys that are on my forum.
then when i delete a topic with only 5 replys in it, i want the counter to go back to 10.
so i wrote this script.

$quik =mysql_query("SELECT * FROM forumnews WHERE vantopicid = '$topic_id' ") or die(mysql_error());
$ab =mysql_num_rows($quik);
if (($ab = 1) OR ($ab = 0)){

}else{
mysql_query("UPDATE forums SET nrofreplys = nrofreplys-'$ab' WHERE forum_id = '$vfi' ") or die(mysql_error());
}

the damn thing just wont work, anybody have an idea???
thanks in advance

Is this closer to what you want?
[code]
$quik =mysql_query("SELECT * FROM forumnews WHERE vantopicid = '$topic_id' ") or die(mysql_error());
if (($ab! <= 1){
     mysql_query("UPDATE forums SET nrofreplys = nrofreplys-$ab WHERE forum_id = '$vfi' ") or die(mysql_error());
}
[/code]

Guest edwinsweep
[!--quoteo(post=350594:date=Mar 1 2006, 02:20 PM:name=AV1611)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(AV1611 @ Mar 1 2006, 02:20 PM) [snapback]350594[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Is this closer to what you want?
[code]
if (($ab! <= 1){
     mysql_query("UPDATE forums SET nrofreplys = nrofreplys-$ab WHERE forum_id = '$vfi' ") or die(mysql_error());
}
[/code]
[/quote]

yeah i think this will work and i think i just found what i have done wrong.
if (($ab = 1) OR ($ab = 0)){ <-------- 1x=
if (($ab == 1) OR ($ab == 0)){ <--------2x=

I've been bit by that a hundred times... I think it happens because you write an SQL query that does a single = followed by a PHP clause that uses a double ==
That's my theory, anyways...

I also cleaned up your first clause, by making the if !== you don't need the if then else you had before...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.