[SOLVED] mysql complicated query help:

ted_chou12

This time, I wish to order the users by the no. of posts they posted, the forum table looks roughly like this:

id username

1user1

2user2

3user1

4user1

5user2

The ID doesnt really matter, what I want to do is to organize the users according to the number of posts they have made, so the output looks like:

username posts

user1          3

user2          2

where left is the username and right is the no of posts

Thanks

Ted

The quickest way would be to modify the table structure you have there to include a new column called num_posts which is incremented each time the user makes a new post.

Then you can order the query results on the num_posts column

so your final table structure will look like

id username num_posts

Its the way I have always done mine, and cuts down on potentially long queries finding all the posts that the user made in the database

The quickest way would be to modify the table structure you have there to include a new column called num_posts which is incremented each time the user makes a new post.

Then you can order the query results on the num_posts column

so your final table structure will look like

id username num_posts

Its the way I have always done mine, and cuts down on potentially long queries finding all the posts that the user made in the database

This way is quick, but unless you're dealing with InnoDB tables, summary tables/columns are expensive, and prone to errors.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.