SQL Select Question

warrenk

I have two tables in a one (master) to many (detail) relationship.  Is there anyway to select this as a one-to-one relationship?  I would use DISTINCT, but one of the fields I select in the detail file is not unique.  So even with the DISTINCT, it always selects multiple detail records for each master.

I just want one occurance of the detail record.

Thanks,

Warren

Do you mean the field in the detail file is not identical for all rows?

That opens the question of which of the detail rows you want returned.  Does it matter?  If not, you can use a mysql extension:

SELECT mastercol, detailcol FROM master JOIN detail USING (commoncol) GROUP BY mastercol

This will give you some random selection from the possible values of detailcol.  Note that in standard SQL this is invalid, as detailcol is not mentioned in the group by, and is not used with an aggregate function.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/group-by-hidden-fields.html

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.