How can I 'mask' the email address like Craig's List does

simcoweb

If any of you have every posted an ad at craigslist.org it provides 3 methods of email contact:

1. use the email address as indicated

2. still use your email but have the emails 'cloaked' as a @craigslist.org address

3. do not want replies via email (phone or whatever would be in the ad)

When the select option #2 all emails are sent with an address like this:

job_1323453@craigslist.org

What I want to know how to do is take my email, which say is bozo@theclown.com, and have it sent as job_1323453@craigslist.org

Anyone?

This appears to simply be a case of auto forwarding the emails on to to you. It not masking and email just putting an inbox inbetween you and the sender/recipient. If you are sending out bulk mail I suggest you send it to a spoof email (like maillist@mysite.com) and simply place every recipient into the BCc: field of the headers.

If you want them to be able to reply then add a reply address or instaed of a spoof email something generic like reply@mysite.com that is a real account OR have a catch all set up so that any email to an inbo that deosn't exists goes to one of your accounts...

Hiya Toon:

Thanks for the response.  Basically the email address inserted by the ad poster serves two purposes. The first one is when he tries to post the ad, it sends a validation email to authenticate the email address as real. The ad poster clicks on the authentication link then returns to the site where the ad is confirmed and posted.

The second purpose is for people to respond to the ad. Based upon your explanation, anyone responding to the ad, their email is sent to a 'dummy' box where it is then resent to the email address of the ad poster? There must be some switchover or way that once it's there it knows where to send it to the required email destination. Not sure how this would work.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.