Please help me with my research

pratamishus

Hello PHPiers.

I am creating a web-site that would generate an AJAX map for web-sites. What happens is

1. A user registers for an account. There are two types of accounts

a. Embedding a map without items (shops, petrol stations, etc.)

b. Embedding a map with items (several or some).

2. A user uploads an image of the map, sets some settings (such as amount of zooms on the map, how many times should each zoom increase the map in size, etc.)

3. The web-site generates the map according to his/her settings (automatically) and creates several files (scripts, images and manual) on server so that he/she would be able to download them (This will include classes for user-side and classes for administrative system of the user).

So could you answer the following questions:

1. Would you find such service useful

2. And how much would you pay to have a life time account for such service.

Thanks in advance,

Pratamishus.

No you did not quite understand. Google does not provide item allocation. For instance you want to show users location of petrol stations. On a CMS you click on a station location and add it's details. Those will be given on the user-side. A sample of what a user would get is here (userside only):

http://delek4less.co.il/index.php?id=1

(The site has some bugs as it is not ready yet, and works in IE6 only by now).

I would use Google's maps and then do the little add-ons and other modifications to it.  I've seen everything from trip distances to little maps where users can stick their information and a little point shows up and represents them. I guess thats limited though.

I think Google Earth does record places, restaurants, monuments, too.

For me, to answer your questions above, I probably wouldn't pay anything for your site. There are way too many free resources that do the exact same thing, and furthermore, if I need a gas station in an unknown place, I doubt I will have a computer near by. If I am home, then I already know where I live.

Don't wish to be rude, only sharing what I think.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.