Using ID's

idgeit

Hey all,

I've been trying to figure out how exactly to do this. At the moment I've got a php page that pulls up info from a database and displays it,

But I would like to make a single page and let the ID of the product change and then the page will change to suit the ID.

sort of like this page i.e

/index.php?=actionpost.......... ect

I have no idea where i should be looking under, or what even this is called.

Any help would be great,

Thanks!

~ Idgeitman

It ends up getting used in everything day/day programming.

For a basic example, here is something off one of my projects, with the same idea.

<?php
// get user information based on stored session
$selectuser = "SELECT * FROM userinformation";
$queryuser = mysql_query($selectuser);
echo "<p>Below is all the information about current Clients.</p>";
echo "<hr />";
while ($rowuser = mysql_fetch_array($queryuser)) {
// if record found display there user information for editing
?>
<?php
// display admins here
echo "<b>Id:</b> " . stripslashes($rowuser['id']);
$edit = "<a href=\"editexistingclient.php?id={$rowuser[id]}\" title=\"Edit This Client\">Edit</a>";
$delete = "<a href=\"deleteclient.php?id={$rowuser[id]}\" title=\"Delete This Client\">Delete</a>";

$addproof = "<a href=\"addproof.php?id={$rowuser[id]}\" title=\"Add Proof\">Add Proof</a>";
$vieworeditproof = "<a href=\"vieworeditproof.php?id={$rowuser[id]}\" title=\"View or Edit Proof\">View or Edit Proof</a>";

echo "<br />";
echo "<b>Email:</b> " . stripslashes($rowuser['email']);
echo "<br />";
echo "<b>Username:</b> " . stripslashes($rowuser['username']);
echo "<br />";
echo $edit . " - " . $delete;
echo "<br />";
echo "<br />";
echo $addproof;
echo " - ";
echo $vieworeditproof;
echo "<hr />";
?>
<?php
}
?>

That pretty much pulls the list of clients, you see the id's getting passed to the various pages.  On those pages things happen with the data.  Like for adding  a proof (vice versa.

on the page you simply

$id = $_GET['id'];

clean it first however.  And there is your id, from there it's basic query knowledge and you can work up your queries, and do whatever you want with it.

i just came across one small problem, I can use echo and print the ID number, but what exactly should i do when I want to use it in a query?

$query = 'SELECT products.product_id, products.product_dis, products.product_price, products.product_title FROM products WHERE products.product_id = 10001';

That works fine for the id as 10001 but how can I replace it with the $_GET result?

thanks

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.