If a hosted site says it supports php does that also mean it supports mysql?

struax

Moved a website that used MS Access db from a local to a hosted site. They (hosted site)  say they do not support asp so i need to find a database to use. 

They are using an apache server and they say they support PHP.

My question is how do i move the mysql database to the server?

Should i just ftp it to the server, and if so , what directory should i put it in?

Or do i just need to connect to the server with mysql and publish it to the server?

I hate being such a newb.

Or should i try using another database like xml or something easier.

This if just for a used car dealers website to display his inventory.

Thanks,

They (hosted site)  say they do not support asp so i need to find a database to use. 

I'm not sure what that means--ASP is not a database.

My question is how do i move the mysql database to the server?

Does your host have MySQL? If so, they should give you instructions on how to work with it.

• 3 weeks later...

They say they support mysql.

Do I need to create the mysql on the local host on my pc and then push it up to their server or should i be able to connect to the mysql db on their server?

The hosting company seems to know less about databases than i do, and that scares me.

Thanks

Ok, it's like 2 different worlds that are bridged, when it comes to files that your website uses (assuming .php, of course)... yeah, you use an ftp client to put files up on your server.

When putting your database up to your server, use a database manager like Sqlyog (Enterprise edition highly recommended).  It allows you to manage your database in a drag and drop like fashion as well as by keying, and best of all it is a Database File Transfer Client. Allowing you to move/copy your database from the MySQL version on your pc to your server.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.