Contact Forms and ABUSE

bcoffin

Hi All,

I've written a bunch of contact forms in the past, and one in particular has been getting a ton of abuse. The fields are:

NAME

EMAIL

PHONE

SUBJECT

and a few other more specific questions.. The form is submitted via a javascript function (.submit()).

Can any one recommend any tricks to limit this type of abuse?

Thanks,

Benny

Just a suggestion, try using different varaible names. You can also try using regex in any field(s) that someone could squeeze code into. If memory serves me correct, most spammers just insert their code inot the message field and then their code would take over the script. So rexex(ing) the form before anything else would help to eliminate that.

Also, don't trust Javascript for validation as most spammers aren't using your code. They did a "show source" to see the form variables the form is sending then wrote their own code to send those variables to your processing script.

Ken

I dont't know why I did not share this earlier, I simply set a really wierd $var in the header of my page, since my page is made up of many parts, the only way that the form would work is to actually load the whole page. I know that may not be the most secure, but I have not thaught of anything better, so here goes my example:

<?php

//inside my page other than inside the mailpage itself i set variable

$myfunkyvar = "nose";

//then before the actuall sendmail part of the script can be used I require that variable

if($myfunkyvar == nose) {

//script will execute here

} else { 

//script will not function and user is redirected to another page or even site, the meaner the better

header( 'Location: http://www.yoursite.com/index.php' ) ;

}

?>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.