Need a PHP / Design critique if possible :)

H-Fish

Hey everyone, firstly i'd like to thank the people on here who helped me recently, i managed to complete the coding i needed so i think my site is finished. (apart from the booksearch.php page, but it's almost done. I can't fully test it until the database is a bit more full)

What i was hoping is if people could take a quick look over it, and perhaps tell me how it works with regards to interface, php coding and general usability.

It's been quite an adventure, since it's the first full site i've coded from scratch, even had a little play with mod_rewrite :)

Anyway, url is http://www.listbook.net/

You don't have to register if you don't want, you can login using the username demo and password demo.

Looks nice so far. I would definately add more padding like 5-10px or so to all your<td> I would also valign='top' all your <td>. It is very hard to read without any of the ext aligning vertically to anything. I might also try bumping the font size up one notch, since you are using css I can't rightfully say what size perimeters you are using, but slightly larger may be nicer since many people who read books also wear glasses and it would just make it easier to navigate.

On the plus side:

The idea is very appealing and may take off pretty quick especially if you would be able to post a notice in a few libraries or something like that.

I also like the way that the book details highlight on mouseover, just remember that not all people use jave/enable java on their browsers.

I also like the pic popup on mouseover.

You might consider changing the color of your logo image over to the green family somewhere, since the rest of the site is based off that color.

Summary, font sizes up, padding up, valign everything and that would make a big impact.

It didn't say to do that where i downloaded it from, but the credit is still in the source i believe. All the php coding is mine. But anyway, i've added a link back in the footer now. Only fair :)

Thanks for the advice on the menu bar, and the padding, i think that will just make it generally easier to read. Also didn't think about readers wearing glasses, so it might be worthwhile to increase the font size.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.