Website Hosting Issue

crawfishdaddy

Hello Everyone,

I am needing a little help and not very PHP inclined. I am tring to help someone host a site written in PHP with some SQL databases. The previous host of the website isn't very helpful, but we have a full back of the website in a .tar. now, I have copying all the files and folders over, imported the databases, but had to rename them because it just would not import at all unless i did. Now, when viewing the website, It comes up with white screen saying main.php not found. No matter what page i try to view it still says the same thing. The old host said the files will need to be in pub\var or something like that so the files can be found. can anyone elaborate on this for me? Is there a specific place I need to import all the files so it will work correctly? Do the databases need to be the original names for things to work properly? any help would be appreciated. I know it must sound like i have no idea what i am talking about, because... i really don't when it comes to PHP and how things are associated and what not.

Check permissions on files.

Check that files are "RELATIVELY" located. I.e. inside the scripts, files and images are called via: "main.php", "../images/image1.jpg", rather than "http://somewebsite/someoldpath/file.php".

Where is your website located on the new server??

Do you have a /home/username/public_html ??

or is it located in /var/www/yourwebsite??

Also - what was the url of your old host??

Was it www.somewebsite.com/username/blah ??

Whats it of your new website?? www.somewebsite/websites/username/blah??

Again - files must be relatively located, e.g. "main.php" and NOT /main.php or have any /'s putting the files etc. at the root dir.

Anyhoo - if you cant solve it, you'll probably have to get someone to do it properly.

-steve

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.