HAVING COUNT( qt.id )= 1
UNION DISTINCT
SELECT qt.*, tag.id AS tag_id, users.username, pg.*
FROM tag, tag_map, tag_type, qt, users, privacy_global AS pg
WHERE tag_map.tag_id = tag.id
AND (tag.tag_name IN ( 'death'))
AND qt.id = tag_map.this_id
GROUP BY qt.id

This query searches for tagged items that include the word life or death.  The problem I am running into is when an item has been tagged with both words (life and death) the same row is returned twice.  I know that by default UNIONs are supposed to drop duplicates but it is not so I tried UNION DISTINCT but get the same result.  Where has my logic gone wrong?

From what I can tell of what you're trying to do, there's no need for a UNION at all. I am however confused by the 'having' clause.

Anyway, try simply this:

AND (tag.tag_name IN ( 'life', 'death'))

GROUP BY qt.id

The group by will remove the duplicates.

From what I can tell of what you're trying to do, there's no need for a UNION at all. I am however confused by the 'having' clause.

Anyway, try simply this:

AND (tag.tag_name IN ( 'life', 'death'))

GROUP BY qt.id

The group by will remove the duplicates.

This query will return items tagged with both 'life' AND 'death' I need to return items tagged with  'life' OR 'death'

dustinnoe, did you try the query toplay suggested?

The only thing I see it doesn't do is check your "HAVING" condition.  That's fine if you don't mind applying the condition to both queries, in which case you can just add it to toplay's query.

I have tried toplay's query it only returns life OR death (I said it backwards in the previous post)

My original query works great other than the fact that it returns duplicate rows in certain situations. I just need to know what I am doing wrong with the UNION.

The HAVING condition is required to meet the needs of my tag search.  <a href="http://www.pui.ch/phred/archives/2005/04/tags-database-schemas.html">Read this article</a> under the head "'Toxi' Solution" to see why.

Thanks.

Ok, I read the article.  I'm very confused about what you are trying to do though.

1.  Why are you using UNION with Toxi's queries?  They already handle OR and AND.

2.  Do you want life AND death or life OR death?  Simple IN works for OR.  IN combined with HAVING works for AND.  What is it that you need to do that cannot be expressed using Toxi's queries?

Regardless of that, I don't understand why the union would return duplicate rows in the result.  Are the rows that are duplicated exact duplicates?

I am anticipating more complex search strings like this:

life & run & jump | death | sleep

The only way I can see to accomplish this according to the Toxi Solution is by using a UNION like so:

AND (tag.tag_name IN ( 'life', 'run', 'jump'))
GROUP BY qt.id
HAVING COUNT( qt.id )= 3
UNION DISTINCT
AND (tag.tag_name IN ( 'death', 'sleep'))
GROUP BY qt.id

• 2 weeks later...

You can't just drop them.. the grouping and having in each clause is how Toxi implements "AND".  If you dropped the inner group bys, you would lose the meaning of "life & run & jump" for example.  That requires the group by and "having count(qt.id) = 3".

What fenway is suggesting is just to do the query as it is, accept that it's going to produce duplicates, but then remove the duplicates by wrapping EVERYTHING inside another query that only does duplicate removal.  GROUP BY and DISTINCT are equivalent for straight duplicate removal.  And mysql lets you get away with only specifiying qt.id.  Something like:

SELECT * FROM ( ... your entire current query in here ... ) GROUP BY qt.id

So we will still have no idea why the union distinct doesn't work, but at least you'll be getting the results you want :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.