[SOLVED] Software for presentations.

Ninjakreborn

Is there a kind of web software that a person can use to build like an on line presentation (demo use) of something, then put it on a site, so it runs on there computer. Or if someone creates a power point presentation and you leave a link for them to click on it, will it open power point on there computer.

Maybe I understand your question, not 100% sure though, but here's a try.  I think powerpoint has a built in function that will allow you to create a presentation and export it to a web site (HTML or Flash).  I have some things to say about this, though.  Unfortunately, M$ did a terrible job with the export (IMHO) function within powerpoint.  The resulting pages are almost completely incompatible with all web browsers except for Microsoft's Internet Explorer.

There is also another option.  Opensource OpenOffice is a free office system comparable to M$ Office.  Open Office can also edit/export your M$ office docs as well!  Now, the good news is, OO can convert them to REAL, cross-browser compatible HTML pages and Flash. 

Again, I'm not sure if this is what you're asking, but maybe it'll help.

OK, I have a client.  They have a space they want on a site I am building for them called "demo".  This is going to be something (they aren't sure yet so I am exploring options), they think power point presentation, or recorded video, or something explaining/showing how to use the site.  Power point sounded like a good idea, because I can pass it on to them, they can create it. However once they give me the file for power point, (the presentation), is it going to automatically launch the Power Point on the person's computer, or can the presentation play on the server.  Or something similar.

If you want the presentation to be browser friendly, meaning allow it to run on all/most browsers, then use flash. There may be free software that can convert an existing presentation, such as power point, to an swf file for you.

However you cannot embed a powerpoint presentation into a webpage and expect it to work on all browsers. The only browser it will work on is Internet Explorer

If you allow for the ppt file to be downloaded then it wont run on the users computer unless they have Powe rpoint installed, if they don't then in order for them run that file on there computer they will have to install Powerpoint Viewer (can't remember the exact name) which they can download freely from Microsoft's website.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.