may i know where these cookies and sessions are actually used

sasi

Hello everybody,

I want to know where these cookies and sessions are actually used and what is main purpose of using them. I know how to create them but i am unable to understand the need/necessity of them and where they are actually used.

And one more thing i want to run  php program in the unix platform as a thread(means for every half an hour it is to be executed),the main moto of that file is converting the unix log file(date format) into the MySql date format and after that writing that result data into another file and after that it is to be loaded into the database.

Can anybody provide the documentation reagarding these issues.

Session and cookies are such kind of mechanism which you can use for some temparaly data storage.

Session expires when browser is closed.

Session cookie also expires when browser is closed.

In persistent cookie you can define a time for cookie expire. 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.