Apache opening an extremely large number of file handlers to subversion db.lock

jmacdonagh

I'm running Apache (with a Trac system), Mailman, and Postfix on a VPS server. After a few days of running, users keep getting errors. When I SSH into my server, I get "too many open files" errors.

I've tracked down the issue to apache. As it stands now, Apache has about 3,500 open files (lsof | wc -l). And there's virtually no traffic. Looking at the file contents, I see that each of apache's five child processes has a set of standard open files (mod_dav, libssl, blah blah blah), but each of them has a HUGE number of open files for /var/www/svn.mydomain.com/locks/db.lock, my subversion repository database lock. There's no activity going on it, so I don't know why this is happening.

Anyway, apache keeps opening so many files to that exact same database lock file, that I'm running out of resources on my VPS.

Has anyone ever heard of this? Is there a fix besides limiting apache's number of open files?

Thanks,

Johann

I think you need to look into Trac. It can be run using python or cgi. The former performs better. Id say its a case that either the cgi or python is creating too many file locks.

Apart from that, I cant suggest anything else, but to google and see.

Here is my how-to for trac and svn: http://wiki.kartbuilding.net/index.php/Trac_and_SVN

-steve

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.