[SOLVED] escaping single quotes, double quotes, and semicolons with STR_REPLACE()

dsaba

i have this error code unexpected T STRING

on this line:

str_replace(addslashes('onmouseover="showImg('name', 'tabla_novedades2', 's_asc.png', 'img1');"'), addslashes('onmouseover="showImg('name', 'tabla_novedades2', 's_desc.png', 'img1');"'), $td_name);

i tried escaping slashes with the addslashes function but obviously this did not work

there is a ";" in the string so i know that is causing the error

I am replacing this string:

'onmouseover="showImg('name', 'tabla_novedades2', 's_asc.png', 'img1');"

with this string:

'onmouseover="showImg('name', 'tabla_novedades2', 's_desc.png', 'img1');"

how do I do this with no errors with the str_replace function??

In these cases you need to manually escape the quotes. The semi-colon has nothing to do with the error.  It's having unescaped single quotes inside a string delimited by single quotes. Try this:

<?php
str_replace('onmouseover="showImg(\'name\', \'tabla_novedades2\', \'s_asc.png\', \'img1\');"',
                   'onmouseover="showImg(\'name\', \'tabla_novedades2\', \'s_desc.png\', \'img1\');"', $td_name);
?>

It might be easier just to do:

<?php
str_replace('s_asc.png','s_desc.png',$td_name);
?>

Ken

It's a matter of style, but I prefer using temporary variables to nested functions.  Instead of

func(func2($a), func2($b));

you can use

$f_a = func2($a);
$f_b = func2($b);
func($f_a, $f_b);

The second version is also easier for debugging for 2 reasons:

1.  You can print out intermediate values.

2.  The line number of the error will specify one function, not one set of nested functions.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.