[SOLVED] INSERT Question

JSHINER

I currently have the following:

$db->query("INSERT INTO table SET zips = '$zip'");

Whenever someone goes to that page (page.php?zip=00001) it inserts the zip into the database. However, if someone clicks a link on that page, and then hits the back button, the zip is recorded again. Is there a way I could limit it to ONE zip per user? I do not want one entry per user because one user may view multiple zips.

Thanks.

if you have a user id in the table that is associated with the zip before you do the insert you can see if there are any records where the user and the zip are the same as that wants to do the insert.

So:

1. Do select statement

2. count rows

if($count == 0){

//Insert statement

}

And you are done. So they can reload the page as much as they want and it will only insert once

You would need a zipid and a userid the zip table would be like this

zipid,

userid,

zipcode

Using that logic you can have multiple zips and than to check you would need to run a select query on the userid and see if the new zip is already in the db if it is you do not add it.

Create a table users and have each person sign up

userid,

username,

password,

email

than store that in a cookie or session and when you call that input it with an insert

$sql = "INSERT INTO table_name (`userid`, `zipcode`) VALUES ('".$_COOKIE['userid']."', '$zipcode')";

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.