New site for my Web Design Business

Guardian-Mage

I started a business for web design and programming and made a website. It is still under contruction but I would like some opinions. Please try various experiments with it if you wish. It uses PHP, XHTML, CSS, and Javascript. The entire site uses a Javascript Navigation bar, but the Navigation is designed to work on browsers that do not have Javascript enabled. The page resizes well with the window and has been tested on IE, Firefox, Netscape, and Opera. I tested them on the newest versions of the last three, but I only have IE version 4 or something like that. I hope you like it.

www.GuardianTechnology.co.nr

Hint: If you disable Javascript you have to refresh the page

Hi, i think your site needs a bit of work man..

- I dont really like the rollover from black to red.

- Its a little plain you should add some pictures.

- Dont really like the text.

- For a web designing/ Programming site you should make it look as best you can to get customers.

Max

I would suggest getting rid of the blue on blue on blue theme. Add some contrasting colors, three is always a good number. I would also recomend using a different type of navigation hint other than a baloon tip, use a plus sign that when clicked expands the links.

I started a business for web design and programming and made a website. It is still under contruction but I would like some opinions. Please try various experiments with it if you wish. It uses PHP, XHTML, CSS, and Javascript. The entire site uses a Javascript Navigation bar, but the Navigation is designed to work on browsers that do not have Javascript enabled. The page resizes well with the window and has been tested on IE, Firefox, Netscape, and Opera. I tested them on the newest versions of the last three, but I only have IE version 4 or something like that. I hope you like it.

www.GuardianTechnology.co.nr

Hint: If you disable Javascript you have to refresh the page

ummm - do YOU like it?

without wanting to be overly harsh, and just being honest, the site sucks big time and you really need to re-assess your priorities. If you're proud of it, then you probably need to take a few steps back and wonder if you're in the right industry. If you're not proud of it, then I'm not sure what you want in terms of critique.

If it was a personal site, I wouldn't feel the need to say anything - but the fact that it's a site promoting your design services/company warrants a brutally honest reply.

i'd go into specifics of what i think could be fixed, but i think fixing individual elements of that instead of scrapping it and putting it down to experience would be a waste of your time.

As redbullmarky said, if you like it, that's all that really matters, however, I would not hire you to design a page for me.

I don't want to sound mean, but you might want to stick to programming and leave the design to the artsy types.  Your site would have looked like cutting edge design a few years ago, but look at what they are doing now: http://www.mezzoblue.com/zengarden/alldesigns/

As redbullmarky said, if you like it, that's all that really matters

not so much what i meant, but i'll go with that too...

what i meant by that was just trying to get someone to sit back, look at the screen, and ask themselves "is this any good?" because in this case, it really isn't and not only do you need to see that, but you need to see why too.

Sadly I am new to this forum but NOT new to web design and programming. You are offering a service that you claim to be very professional and top-notch. Your site is FAR from supporting that. The thing about web developers' websites is that they have to advertise exactly what they are selling on their own sites. We can't just say we are professional, we have to prove it . . . on our OWN sites. That site of yours does not prove to me that you are advanced in the ways of programming or having good taste in layout and design. Look around some more and follow suit of those more high-speed programmers and industry leaders. Basically, put your money where your mouth is and show us your best if you want us to think you are professional.

You can do it. We all started where you are so just keep going and you'll have top-notch ratings soon enough.

MC Springer

Well...there are some hard comments above.  I read all of them before looking at your site...and honestly expected it to be worse.  That said, i did blink a little and wish for sunglasses when your site first opened.  I would say that you need to tame the colors (a lot), add some graphics, maybe round some corners and/or get rid of quite so much space between sections (the part that is forgivingly white right now).  I agree that this site would not EVER make me what to hire you.  It is pretty bad, BUT everyone built a crappy website when they first got started (i know i did), and i imagine that this is where you are coming from.  You are probably pretty young and there are some big shoes to fill out here.  I would not run away from the design industry quite yet, but you might go to a booksore (or library) and get some books about graphic design.  Study about color and layout.  Do Google searches for design concepts.  Join a site like StumbleUpon.com and just LOOK at other cool websites for ideas (but do not COPY them...just get inspired).  It is tough to be both a good programmer and a good designer (the whole right-brain vs left-brain thing).  You can do it...but it takes more work than you imagine.  A good website takes lots of time and years of background experiences to put together.  Good luck!

I really appreciate the comments, but I am busy right now devoloping 3 sites. Once these are done I can get back at mine, so for the time being, no more comments please. However the new site will have rounded corners and being blue, white, and light blue, with sans-serif font.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.