[SOLVED] SQL ORDER BY excluding 'The '

karldesign

Hi

I have a query that I would like to perform, but am struggling with producing it.

Say you have a list of titles (ie: The Spanish, English, The French, Belgians) and I want to ORDER BY title ASC, how do I order them, but ignore the 'The ' in the SQL query.

So the output order would be: Belgians, English, The French, The Spanish?

Thanks in advance for any help!

maybe... just maybe... you make a field in the table named "FullTitle" and one name "ShortTitle" and in LongTitle you have "The" included but on short you have it removed? so then you order by ShortTitle but the output will be the LongTitle..

just an idea... i'm new to mysql, looking forward to see the answers from someone more experienced =)

If they're ALL The (for example The English, The French etc) then the below *should* work. You will need to change 15 to the longest string you have.

For example The English (if that's your longest word) would be 5, 7. The first number is where you want the string starts, the second is the length to be extracted.

SELECT SUBSTRING(`yourfield`, 5, 7) + 0 AS nationality, tb.* FROM `yourtable` tb ORDER BY nationality ASC

Something like

$query = mysql_query("SELECT SUBSTRING(`yourfield`, 7, 15) + 0 AS nationality, tb.* FROM `yourtable` tb ORDER BY nationality DESC");
while ($result = mysql_fetch_array($query))
{
echo "$result[yourfield]<br />";
}

Some may not have 'The '...

I have found this:

SELECT *, IF ( LEFT( vch_title, 4)='The ', SUBSTRING(vch_title FROM 4), vch_title ) AS title_sort FROM tbl_links WHERE int_category = '$i' ORDER BY title_sort;

The problem is, all the ones that start with 'The ' accumulate at the top before alphabetically ordering the reamaining fields...

I have found this:

SELECT *, IF ( LEFT( vch_title, 4)='The ', SUBSTRING(vch_title FROM 4), vch_title ) AS title_sort FROM tbl_links WHERE int_category = '$i' ORDER BY title_sort;

The problem is, all the ones that start with 'The ' accumulate at the top before alphabetically ordering the reamaining fields...

Try add ASC after title_sort

The following code will ignore the string "The " in the orderering of records

SELECT your_title_field FROM your_table ORDER BY REPLACE(your_title_field,"The ","");

It will ignore "The " wherever it appears not just at the front of the title string so may have a few undesired effects but will certainly sort your example as you want it

I have found this:

Not sure why this wouldn't work...

That does work if the "FROM 4" is changed to ",5" (and then is better than my suggestion  ;) )

As below :

SELECT *, IF ( LEFT( vch_title, 4)='The ', SUBSTRING(vch_title,5), vch_title ) AS title_sort FROM tbl_links WHERE int_category = '$i' ORDER BY title_sort;

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.