Get ID after autoupdate

edynas

I got a maybe stupid question

I want to insert data into a table. In the table are 3 rows of which one is an id with autoupdate. In the loop where I do the insert I also want to do an other insert but need the value of the id.

I have seen several solutions to this but want to make sure I get it right. One way is to count the table and the number of rows should be the number of the id. But I am afraid to use this methode as over time there maybe some deletions of rows and that will effect the number. An other is to call the id value before entering the loop set a variable with the name y (or whatever) with that value and use the ++ at the end of the inner loop to up the id and I saw some bits and pieces of a function that calls the id of the last insert.

I need some advice..what is the best way to do this

Great so the code for it would be something like this

if the columns are id, name, description

while ($A = mysql_fetch_array($opdracht))
  {
$sql = mysql_query("INSERT INTO cat (`id`, `cat_name`, `cat_desc`) VALUES ('', $cat_name, $cat_desc)" );
$cat_id = mysql_insert_id ( [id] );
$sql = mysql_query("INSERT INTO product2cat (`id`, `cat_id`, `name`, 'descr' ) VALUES ('', $cat_id, $product_name, $desc)" );

}

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.