SQL Syntax

Unholy Prayer

I can't figure out what's wrong the my SELECT sql syntax.  I'm trying to select an event from a table for the date being displayed.  This is my code:

$events = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM vbb_events WHERE date = $monthname $counter, $thisyear") or die("Error: ".mysql_error());

Any help is appreciated.

There is information we need according to the query you posted:

SELECT * FROM vbb_events WHERE date = $monthname $counter, $thisyear

There are 3 variables there in use. What do they all contain? Have you tried echoing out the query itself before you run it to make sure it contains what you think it does? If you post the actual content of the query, we may be able to help you a little more accurately.

Ah, I see it

You need quotes around date value

$events = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM vbb_events WHERE date = '$monthname $counter, $thisyear' ") or die("Error: ".mysql_error());

BTW, that's terrible way to store dates. You can't sort by it, you can't compare dates, you can't select ranges and you can't use the whole host of date/time functions provided. Use DATE or DATETIME types for dates - that's what they are there for.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.