Please Help!! Login in database with client provided usernames and passwords

hypgraphix

My client wants a splash page for his initial index page and doesn't not want people to be able to go any further into the website with a username and password he will provide for them directly. On that splash page he wants a place for them to login with the username and password he provided. How to I create a database for this? I am total lost! Please help me. I am brand new to this stuff.

Thanks so much to anyone who will help me!

This doesn't seem to be a PHP question. When one of the moderators moves it to "SQL / Database Forums" you'll have better luck. However, if you're new to this, you may want to consult a tutorial on databases

http://www.kirupa.com/developer/php/relational_db_design.htm

You'll have to do some small requirements gathering based on what the client actually needs from each user that he supplies a username and password so.

Example : First Name, Last Name, Birthdate, Address, City, State, Zip, Access Level (limits what a person actually has access to on the site), etc...

You just need to create a simple form with a username and password field, then pass these 2 fields into a page that you will use to execute your sql query from to compare the username and password submitted to...it will look something like this....

index.php

<form name="login" method="post" action="auth.php">

<table border="1">

<tr>

<td>

Enter Login:

</td>

<td>

<input type="text" name="username">

</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td>

Enter Password:

</td>

<td>

<input type="password" name="pass">

</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td>

</td>

<td>

<input type="submit" value="Login">

</td>

</tr>

</table>

</form>

auth.php

$password=md5($_POST[pass]);

$select=mysql_query("SELECT * FROM users WHERE username=$_POST[username] AND password=$password") or die(mysql_error());

$sql=mysql_num_rows($select);

If ($sql){

echo "Login Sucessfully!";

}Else{

echo "Login Failed!!";

}

You just need to have a table called users with a field called username and a password field with md5 encryption...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.