[SOLVED] explode() not working?

unkwntech

I am trying to parse a tab delemited flat file so that it can be imported into a MySQL database.

$fp = fopen("mls/Data/Listing04112007.log", "r");
while ($record = fget csv($fp, 5000)){
$new = explode("\t", $record);
//The following lines are so that I can see that it is working correctly
echo $new[0];
echo $new[1];
}

unfortunatly all it returns is

ArrayArrayArrayArrayArrayArrayArrayArrayArrayArrayArrayArrayArrayArrayArrayArray...

The page can be viewed here http://www.unkwndesign.com/tests/index.php

If you want to use fgetcsv on a tab delimited file, use: fgetcsv($fp, 5000, "\t").  If you use this in place of simple fgetcsv($fp, 5000) you won't need an explode statement.  By the way, the reason this is happening is because fgetcsv creates an array of all of the CSV elements, where CSV = comma separated value, hence why you need to specify "\t" as the delimiter in the function, rather than the default comma.

Now it outputs the array. Example: Array ( [0] => LN [1] => HSN [2] => STR [3] => MUN [4] => COU [5] => S ) Array ( [0] => TATE [1] => ZIP [2] => LP [3] => MAR [4] => MPY [5] => ) Array ( [0] => MPX [1] => SDN [2] => SDP [3] => DVN [4] => UNI [5] => ) Array ( [0] => CW [1] => STA [2] => OWN [3] => ST [4] => TYP [5] => LA ) Array ( [0] => G [1] => LO [2] => SBA [3] => FBT [4] => HBT [5] => QBT ) Array ( [0] => [1] => TBT [2] => TBA [3] => BR [4] => BL1 [5] => BD1L ) Array ( [0] => [1] => BD1W [2] => BL2 [3] => BD2L [4] => BD2W [5] => ) Array ( [0] => BL3 [1] => BD3L [2] => BD3W [3] => BL4 [4] => BD ) Array ( [0]

it is still availible at the link i posted

How about:

<?php
$lines = file("mla/Data/Listing04112007.log");
foreach ($lines as $line) {
     $lineData = explode("\t", $line);
     print_r($lineData);
}
?>

My assumption is that that log file isn't a valid CSV (technically TSV) delimited file, and therefore fgetcsv is unable to parse it correctly.  I personally have never used fgetcsv on anything other than a comma-delimited file, and even with that it was only once.

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 83886080 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 1136 bytes) in /home/unkwn/public_html/tests/index.php on line 7

This error does not even make sense tried to allocate 1136 bytes but it used more then 83886080?

After changing the Maximum memory limit of PHP dangerously high it now outputs the following:

Array ( [0] => Array ) Array ( [0] => Array ) Array ( [0] => Array ) Array ( [0] => Array ) Array ( [0] => Array ) Array ( [0] => Array ) Array ( [0] => Array ) Array ( [0] => Array ) Array ( [0] => Array )

<?php
$stuff = file("Listing04112007.txt"); // read into array
for ($i=0;$i<count($stuff);$i++) {
    echo $stuff[$i]. "<br/><br/>";
$more_stuff = explode("\t",$stuff[$i]);
// only interested in first few array elements ...
        for ($j=0;$j<6;$j++) {
	    echo $j. " ->". $more_stuff[$j]. "<br/>";
	}
echo "<hr/>";	
}
?>

That works fine for me.  Maybe you can build from that ...

I think memory issues are a huge problem here.  60MB for a text file that you're actually trying to iterate through isn't exactly easy.  62914560 bytes are trying to be parsed by PHP.  While PHP can handle this, it all depends on the quality of the server as well as PHP's memory settings and the amount of available RAM.  Are you sure all of the content in the file is correctly delimited by a tab?

http://www.halfadot.com/temp/short-version.zip

I 'cheated'.  Imported the 60 Mb file into Excel as a tab-delimited file, removed all of the fields beyond the sixth column, and saved it back as a tab-delimited file (which is zipped as the link above) with 61,000 records or so.

It's still a big file when unzipped - 3+ Mb - but that might get you going forward.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.