port 3306 still open

i have tried installing it multiple times all separately, then tried xampp but the port 3306 error came up, probably because i didnt uninstall it. two questions: 1. should i uninstall and use wamp like in the sticky above, or is that a minor problem that i can fix and should use xampp, 2. how can i test it? i tried making a file called test.php with <?php php.info(); ?> somethin like that from a tut that should have worked but didnt, and saved it in the hpdocs or w/e and opened it and nothing. help? thanks in advance.

port 3306 is to do with MySQL and not Apache/PHP. By default MySQL listens to port 3306.

When uninstalling MySQL it is important that you stop the service before your uninstall it, MySQL does attempt to stop the service if its running during unistall but this sometimes fails. If you don't stop the service then it can cause these sort of problems.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.