Transparency in images

Thierry

I'm having trouble with transparent parts of images.

For instance, I have two images (gif's) with transparent parts in them.

If you click or hover over the images, an action will occur, but it should only happen when you click in a non-transparent area.

Right now, if you hover over any part of the image (including the transparent parts), the action happens.

Is it possible that the transparent parts are ignored?

This is what I'm trying to test it out with:

<body>
<div id="zomg" style="z-index:1; position:absolute; left:0px; top:0px;"><a href="whatever.php">Test link</a></div>
<div id="lol" style="z-index:2; position:absolute; left:0px; top:0px; height:100px; width:100px; background-image:url(images/test.gif); background-position:inherit; background-color:transparent;"></div>
</body>

Basicly, I need the transparent part of the image (where you can see the link text) to allow for clicking the link under it.

Right now, the div itself prevents anything under it from being clicked.

The only other way I can imagine doing it besides getting this to work somehow is to do it with the Clip attribute, going at it one pixel width (or height) at a time.

far as i know, there is no way to directly tap into the difference between the transparent part and the non transparent part of graphics.  css doesn't know it, javascript doesn't know it.  You would probably have to prepare an image map for the graphic or write a bunch of custom javascript.  The javascript would be complex because capturing the mouse position is one of the worst areas of cross browser compatability differences.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.