Showing different info in a <div> without refreshing the page?

Kesey

I have a banner on my site which is a flash movie, so when links are clicked to visit the various pages of my site, I don't want the whole page (the flash header) to reload and start from the beginning.  I have tried the following code, but still, the whole index page reloads every time a link is clicked. I did a little monkeying around with Scriptaculous, but that was cumbersome and I couldn't get what I really wanted to work. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Main Page Code:

<div id= "maincol">
<?php
if ($title == null)
{
echo('<h3 class="grey">Show this text if null</h3>');
}	
if ($title == Home)
{
echo('<h3 class="grey">Show this text if Home</h3>');
}	
if ($title == About)
{
echo('<h3 class="grey">Show this text if About</h3>');
}	  
?>

Links Code:

<a href="index.php?name=home" class="active" id="home" title="home">
<a href="index.php?name=about" class="active" id="about" title="about">

Hmm, ok. Seems like it should be something common and simple.  Does anyone actually use frames anymore?  I think I'll try the javascript approach.  If I choose to stick with the page refresh it kind of makes my PHP if statement useless.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.