Need advice on first basic project

Swerve1000

Hi PHPFreaks,

I'm currently trying to design my first project, and would some advice on how best to do it.

I am creating a one tabled MySQL database and want to create two forms, the first will be to allow users to retrieve data from the database, and have it display in a structured way, with, the first form on that resulting page so to allow them to perform another search in the same manner as the first.

The second form will be username/password protected and on a different URL, to be used by staff to enter/modify data on the database.

That's basically it,

My present plan is to create the MySQL database through PHPMyAdmin, and create the forms through Dreamweaver MX/PHP.

Could you be as to kind as to offer me some advice on how best to go about this, and how to keep it as simple as possible?

My main concern is the second username/password protected form - Will I need to create other columns on the table to hold this information and will having it on the same table create security issues? I really want to avoid having more than one table, as my knowledge isn't up to dealing with this at present.

Many thanks.

No sir, the username/password account holders will not be on the database except for they need to have access to gain access to the form to allow them to add/modify data.

I just both don't get the whole separate table issue and why it's important, and how to use them at present.

:)

I just both don't get the whole separate table issue and why it's important

Its important because data is related / or not related in different ways. Why would you store your user names / password in the same table as your blog posts for instance? It makes NO sense.

Maybe you are confusing tables with databases. A database can (and usually does) contain multiple tables. Some tables relate to others, some stand alone.

Lets... for simplicities sake say you have a site where 3 users can login and add articles to the site. Why would you have one table storing your user login details AND your articles? They are not related. Of course, you may want to relate individual articles to individual users, but even still, the data belongs in different tables.

Seriously, you need to find yourself a decent article on Database normalization, though at this point in time it seems it may go over your head.

Take a look at this article.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.