[SOLVED] Driving me mad - onkeypress

marmite

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what's wrong with this code:

<input type="image" src="images/loginbutton.gif" onKeyPress="alert('hello');" id='loginbutton' name='loginbutton' width="80" height="17">

I've tried various " and ; variations. All I want is a pop-up when the user hits enter (it will tell them that they need to press the button)

Going mad ???

The image type doesn't have an onKeyPress event because it doesn't take any input.

Use onClick instead.

If you want the alert to show when the user click the enter button, add it to the onsubmit event in the form.

Thanks for the replies: onKeyDown doesn't work, either.

OnClick does work but it isn't what I want - it pops up when people click the button: I want instead a pop-up when someone hits enter.

Grateful for any ideas...

Emma

Here is a quick demo on alerting using an image button (using the onsubmit event on the form)

<form onsubmit="alert('hello');">
<input type="text" />
<select><option>Select</option></select>
<textarea></textarea>
<input type="image" src="image_src" alt="submit" />
</form>

Notice the enter button only submit the button when it's clicked on the input type="text", it doesn't work from a select menu or a textarea.

You also can use a submit button if you want, just use CSS to add a background image, remove the borders and set the height and width. This will give you a graphical submit button.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.