Programming Newsletter

I am about to start a site creation for someone, he is wanting a newsletter on his site, where he can put what he needs to into it, and have it send to whoever he needs.  Is it better to use a 3rd party script or create one from scratch, the project is for 500 for a site creation, recreating his old site, about 5-8 pages, and that's it, this is a challenge because the site is about something I know nothing about, but I have past content to go on, it's just the newsletter is what is making me wonder.

well... it really depends on how much you know, and how much time you have... my first newsletter program was ROUGH! but 2-3 versions later, and some idea pointers from my designer... and thats quite a different story...

A couple pointers:

1. If it's simply a newsletter style mass mailer, be careful getting involved.

2. Be sure that you include something like a double opt-in feature if you design one from scratch.

3. Be sure to include an opt-out URL on every email that's generated with your system.

It sounds to me like you'd be best off to install an open source mailer app for him and let him come up with all his requirements and go from there.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.