[SOLVED] Trying to IN but the damn wrapper wont let me

emehrkay

it is adding single quotes around the vars that i pass into it

we have this wrapper that replaces the ? in a query. we keep all of the queries in an xml file and the vars that you pass into it are defined as a question mark (i dont know if this is something they made up here or not) - that works fine, except for when i am trying to use IN and its pissing me off

is there anything that i could do within the query to get rid of the quotes?

here is what the wrapper is doing to my IN clause

pr.role_id IN ('2,4,12,14')

now if a quote were around each number, it would work fine

i get this error back

Truncated incorrect DOUBLE value: '2,4,12,13'

is there anything that i can do or do i need to modify my query to get rid of the IN and run it N times?

Thanks

It sounds like he/his company is using prepared queries in some form or another where placeholders are represented as question marks, the query is "prepared," and then values are inserted on the fly, i.e., the query has limited flexibility, and the number of placeholders for a given query is static.  So when he's trying to substitute a list of values for a single question mark, it is being inserted as a single comma-delimited string.

For example,

SELECT * FROM pr WHERE role_id IN (?);
// becomes:
SELECT * FROM pr WHERE role_id IN ('1,2,3,4');
// instead of:
SELECT * FROM pr WHERE role_id IN ('1','2','3','4');
// or:
SELECT * FROM pr WHERE role_id IN (1,2,3,4);

Will this work?

... WHERE FIND_IN_SET(pr.role_id,'2,4,12,13')

FIND_IN_SET()

Ahhh thanks, I tried this but was using it wrong.

I am not too sure how the whole process works with replacing the question marks with the variables. I did some digging around and was able to echo out the last run query by the db, that is how i was able to see that it was putting quotes around every variable thta was replaced.

We're using Pear, I looked around and I wasnt able to find any info on the specific package, but FIND_IN_SET worked great.

Thanks guys, you saved me (again) from going MAD!!!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.