[SOLVED] Tables, Div's or Both?

pkirsch

Hello Everybody!

I am wondering which i should Use! Tables, Div's or both? I am trying to follow the W3 Web Standards, and I don't know which are better?

I have a friend that said div's load faster!? Div's  are harder to use because you cant position them the same!

Please let me know what You think!

Thanks. Have a great day,

pkirsch

:)

If you use a decent doc type declaration then you can place divs exactly where you want.

But the answer to your question is both. Use divs to group sections of your page - use tables to display tabular data (and nothing else!) and use css to layout your page as you wish.

In actual fact it is far more complicated to manage a page tat uses tables for layout. When it comes to modifying you need to ensure you manage any colspans or rowspans properly AND you need much more markup for a table than a div (it requires at least 3 tags and their associated tags for just one cell - a div is just one open and closing tag.)

Pages that have a css layout will (in virtually every case) load faster than its table counter-part.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.