[SOLVED] Question?

SkyRanger

I am trying to figure out something for a script I am currently working on.  Not sure exactly were to start and I have been searching the net for about a week.  (Wanted to try and find something for myself before asking on here).  I am trying to figure out how to put up an icon for "new posts" like you see on most forums after somebody posts.  Can somebody point me in the right direction to get some ideas on how to do this?

I know it has something to do with sessions but I suck as sessions, that is why I want to look at a few examples on how others do it so I can get an idea on how to do it.

well... what I could think of right now is that you can make a function called checkNewPost() or something... and with that function you can look trough each category and see if there's any posts with 0 replies/views... if it is, show the new post icon...

think it should work, but it's 4am here and I just got back from the hospital.. so it might be that I'm way off here :)

hope I atleast gave you some ideas :)

Yeah clown it is a start and by the look of your nick I can sort of tell what TZ you are in, so yeah you should get to bed.  Thanks.

Just have to figure out how to link it somehow to the visitor to show new if when there is a new post they have not seen yet.

After me beating my head off my keyboard for about 6 hrs, not having a clue what I am doing, I am going to close this and say thanks for your help clown.

I can figure out how to mark posts as new for past # of hours but haven't figured out how to match the user with the post to mark it either new or read.  Guess I will have to attempt this again at a later date.  Client will just have to wait...lol

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.