3-Column Layout

SharkBait

Not sure if this goes here or under a different section.

I was looking at my blog (www.tyleringram.com) and I am thinking of turning it into a 3-column layout instead of a 2-column layout.

Now currently the page is 800px wide and centered on the page.  If I were to go to a 3-column layout I don't want to change the left and center column sides but add another 160px for the right column.

Is 960px too wide for a website (though 90% of my traffic runs their resolutions at 1280x1024) or should I perhaps shorten the middle column (posts) a bit so that I can bring the overall width down a bit.

I don't want to use a fluid layout and like to keep the width at a certain size.  I want to go to 3-column layout because my left column is becoming to long and I don't want to have people scroll for some of the block sections :)

Make sense? heh

No problem Sharky!

Why would you want a third column in the first place?

Google Adsense?

It does not make money anymore like it use to!

It will detract from your nice design.

Better put donate button. Also get some work as a designer and PHP scripter.

Well i was thinking because of the items I have on the left side column (recent visitors, the poll etc) if I wanted them to be more visible upon arriving at the site I would want them on the right side.  I'll keep it as 2-column.

I took out most of my AdSense, the blog has been up for 9 months and I've made a total of $13 ;) I just don't get the traffic that AdSense would require to make money off of it.

I'll try the donate button or something. I've been working on a couple of other sites for a couple clients and wanting to take the web design/development to the next level.  My blog is more for fun and learning.

Thanks

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.