[SOLVED] InternetExplorer Problem

georg

Hi there!

I discovered an odd problem with MSIE6 on WinXP Pro.. I'm running the Xampp 1.5.4a with PHP 5.

Now I've written a login (not my first one)... If I run it on localhost, MSIE shows a correct version of the website, but if it runs on an other webserver (it's too running xampp with php5) there are problems with special german characters like öäü The same problem occours with the passwords... FF has no problem with it, but if I try to login on the webserver, I can't because it doesn't encode the characters the right way...

Do you have any idea, how to solve this?

hmm... it's difficult to work on the webserver, because it's only an intranet-server and the admin doesn't change the configuration there  :-[

I hope, the new webserver is arriving soon (maybe in a month), so I will be able to do a part of the installation myself..

Have you set the <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1" /> (For charset try to use the set with the best recognition of those characters.)?

older browsers (and obtuse browsers like IE) have trouble with character sets all the time, and MUST have the charset value defined properly in order to work...

i mean this might not help at all but W3C does encourage the use of all valuable meta tags.

Doesn't work...

I discovered another oddity: FireFox shows some characters at the begining of the page (somethin like ""), but IE doesn't... did anyone had that problem before? As said, it works fine, if I run it locally...

Make sure your key board is set to English when you login.

You may want to use ~ this mark to togle from language to language.

If you do not have an English key board instaled, check your regional and language options, languages, details, add English - U.S.

See if this solves your problem.

login is no problem, but they are used at otherpositions too.... and ie doesn't show them correctly... (Firefox does)

It's only very strange, that this works, if I run it local...

Okay, so maybe one needs to have German fonts installed on their IE for it to work properly.

But you said the local version of the page no problem. Right?

But when you fetch it from the server it does not display the German fonts?

Take a look at page cache in PHP maybe it will give you some ideas.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.