• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 musicdirector

musicdirector
  • New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 12:58 PM

Okay, so I just have discovered this whole realm of PHP and MySQL and have decided that I need to learn some of this stuff. I have begun reading the article Build your own Database Driven Website using PHP & MySQL on Sitepoint. I am still foggy on the relation between my pc that I work on (running WXP), Dreamweaver MX, and our webhost (Verio). The article mentions installing php and MySQL...I know that our webhost runs PHP 4.4.1 and I assume MySql also. Do I need to install anything on my machine to be able to manipulate these programs more effectively, or do I work on it somewhere in dreamweaver and then upload? I am brand brand new to this, so any other helpful "get started" tips that anyone can give me would be splendid!

thanks,
md

#2 earl_dc10

earl_dc10
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 71 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 05:31 PM

as long as your server runs php and mysql, you won't need anything on your machine. In order to use MySQL, you'll need to get a username and password from your webhost and to get php and mysql on the site, you just upload to the server.

Hope it helps!
got a problem? Google helps many of those in need

#3 v-wdd

v-wdd
  • New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 18 March 2006 - 06:01 PM

You don't need anything else on your machine, although having [a href=\"http://www.phpmyadmin.net/home_page/index.php\" target=\"_blank\"]phpMyAdmin[/a] installed on the server would be good.

#4 musicdirector

musicdirector
  • New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 02:52 AM

Thanks! I found the access spot on the host site and am ready to move ahead!

md

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users