[SOLVED] Database Setup

Trium918

Ask the host.  Normally, you'll have access to some sort of server control panel (Cpanel, Plesk, etc.) that allows you to set up a database and also something like phpMyAdmin to administer the database.

Ask the host.  Normally, you'll have access to some sort of server control panel (Cpanel, Plesk, etc.) that allows you to set up a database and also something like phpMyAdmin to administer the database.

I did that, but where would file be after creating the database

table?

The database/database tables will exist on the web server.  Since it's shared hosting, you'll find that if you choose wombat as a database name, your database will be something like your_username_wombat (so no other shared user has access), but otherwise you won't notice any differences from running a db on your own computer/server.

The database/database tables will exist on the web server.  Since it's shared hosting, you'll find that if you choose wombat as a database name, your database will be something like your_username_wombat (so no other shared user has access), but otherwise you won't notice any differences from running a db on your own computer/server.

Basically, there will be no file added to the server, is what you

are saying, correct? I would access it by using the name and password or

how would I access it?

er, no. There will be a new database (or databases) added to the server. You will be able to access it in exactly the same way as you would access a database on a dedicated server, i.e. you'll need the hostname (usually localhost), the database name (probably your_username_dbname), your database login (typically your_username_whatever-you-chose), and your database password.

All that ought to be very clear from the database set-up page accessed through your shared server control panel.

Database file? What do you mean, and who cares where it resides. You access it the same way as any other database; you adminster it through tools like phpMyAdmin provided by your web host.  Do I assume that your web host declines to provides any information about the use of their server features?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.