[SOLVED] Help removing white space from php variables inside links.

dmIllithid

Let me start by saying that RegEx is way beyond me. I have searched on this website and other websites for possible solutions to my issue and have crashed in a ball of flames every time I thought I found something. It may be that the solution I am looking for is not possible. Anyways, here is my issue.

I am passing variables from 1 page to another. The following snippet is the link in reference.

<?php
$poem_block = "$poem_item[author] - <a href=\"javascript:popUp('content.php?page=poem&&author=$author&&title=$title')\" title=\"Click to view\">$poem_item[title]</a><hr />";
?>

This works fine, the variables are passed as expected and without problem. My problem is that I have OCD(obsessive compulsive disorder), and when I am writting script I have to do things so that they are in compliance with w3c.  Now, the issue with the link is this : each variable has data pulled from my db such as

<?php
$title = $poem_item[title];
?>

The data for $poem_item[title] = So Much Depends Upon.

The data for $poem_item[author] = Amanda Noble.

So when the user runs their mouse over the link they see

javascript:popUp('content.php?page=poem&&author=Amanda Noble&&title=So Much Depends Upon')

I need to remove the whitespace in the link as this is my biggest issue. Again, due to my OCD and trying to comply with w3c.

my question : Is it possible to remove the whitespace? If so, can anybody help me?

My problem is that I have OCD(obsessive compulsive disorder), and when I am writting script I have to do things so that they are in compliance with w3c.

Nah. That's just good coding ;)

What Wildbug is suggesting in #2 above will convert your spaces to their encoded equivalent %20, so it will appear to be without whitespace. If you are truly trying to remove all whitespace from the strings, you could do something as simple as this:

<?php
function stripWhite($string) {
  return preg_replace('|\s+|', '', $string);
}

$author = stripWhite($poem_item['author']);
$title   = stripWhite($poem_item['title']);
?>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.