How to Recompile PHP

Ok, I've been looking around and I am unsure how I would go about recompiling PHP if I need to add in things like PDFLib or cURL etc.

On my test server which I don't mind breaking I have 5.0.4 running but I would like to figure out how to get PDFlib running on it.

On a live server I have 4.2.2 running and I would like to learn how to recompile it to at least 4.3.2 or even 5.*.

Is recompiling PHP fairly involved? Would I download the latest release and use that?  I'm looking for a good tutorial and explainations of the steps to recompile.  I don't think I've really ever recompiled anything in my life and I want to learn!

What OS are you using? In gentoo Linux for instance its a simple matter of setting the USE flags you want in /etc/portage/package.use and then re-emerging.

Other distro's need a bit more work.

The best thing to do is download the source, extract it and read the README file.

All you really need do is run...

./configure --help

from within the source tree. It lets you see the available options. Of course, some options (if enabled) will also require you to build the dependencies.

• 3 weeks later...

There's a way to build extensions without recompiling PHP (unless you compiled it statically). To install 3rd-party extentions, go to the folder where you extracted the source. Run phpize, then ./configure, then make, and finally make install. (You need the php5-devel or similar package installled on Fedora) For a extension that comes with php (e.g. curl), then download the source, and then go to the folder of the extension (e.g. php-5.2.3/ext/curl) and run the commands above.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.