Help with str_pad

jwhite68

I am trying to simply pad a string with spaces (to the right) so that the total length of the string is 125 characters.

$detail2="ab";
$descr = str_pad($detail2,125,' ');
echo 'descr=' . $descr . 'end';

If I run this, then the padding does not pad the string with spaces.  However, if I change the ' '  to a '-' it correctly pads with hyphens.  So it suggests the syntax is correct - but maybe there is an issue padding with blank spaces?  I did try without the 3rd argument on the str_pad too, as it should be if you just want to pad with spaces, but that doesnt work either.  Am I missing some quirky setting in PHP?

Strangely, taith, this is not producing the perfect result.  Its not following the pad characters Ive asked for.

$detail2 = "this is a test";
$descr = str_pad($detail2,125, " ");
echo 'descr=' . $descr . 'end';

If you run this test you get this result:

this is a test                  &nbenddate

So its not padding the number of characters asked for, and its appending &nb in ther string. Weird..

I found the solution.  Need <pre> tags as shown below:

$descr = '<pre>' . str_replace('~',chr(32),str_pad($detail2,125,'~')) . '</pre>'; 

What a scary and complicated way to have to do something so seemingly straight forward.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.