Read from a file line by line

flobeats

Hy, I have a question..I want to do a demo page to simulate the read of the temperature from a room. I want to do that read from a file.txt. In this file i write data manualy:

18 celsius or just 18

I want to show this data in my page. php row by row in 30 seconds. First 18, after 30 seconds 19, after 30 sec 20...Enybody have ideeas how cold i do that?

Thanks.

Javascript isn't my thing, but I can show you how to get a JS array with the values in:

<?php

$lines = file("file.txt");

echo "<script type=\"text/javascript\">\nvar temperatures = new Array()\n";

foreach($lines as $number => $temp) {
echo "temperatures[$number] = $temp\n";
}

echo "</script>";

?>

Check out combining 'prototype' (a javascript library) using the AJAX.Request or AJAX.Updater function with your PHP file (if you actually need to use PHP in the first place). Here's a good reference: http://www.sergiopereira.com/articles/prototype.js.html. If you are just reading it from a text file however, you won't need PHP as javascript can access text files directly (i think).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.