Db Connect and calling a function

Levan

Quick query:

I have database connect script at the beginning of my PHP page which sets the dbconnection.

when I run a query in the script it works fine I have decided that rather than use the default error catch like this:

$result=mysql_query($query,$db_connect) or die("There has been an error adding the appointment to the database.".mysql_error());

which works fine I would call a function to handle the errors - particularly in the case of a duplication

like so:

function mysql_error_check(){
    $error_num=mysql_errno();
    $error=mysql_error();
    echo $error_num.':'.$error;
    switch ($error_num){
    case '0':
        break;
    case '1062':
        $time=$time+1;
        mysql_select_db($database_db_connect, $db_connect);
        $query="INSERT INTO `appointment` (`Time`, `Details`, `PatientID`, `Type`, `Vet_init`,`Room`) VALUES ('$time', '$detail', '$petid', '$type', '$vet','$room')";
        $result=mysql_query($query,$db_connect) or die("There has been an error adding the appointment to the database. <a href=\"http://".$config_host.$config_dirhost."/".$extra."\">Click here to return to the main appointment page.</a> Error:".$error);
        break;
    default:
        echo "Default Switch";
        die("There has been an error adding the appointment to the database. <a href=\"http://".$config_host.$config_dirhost."/".$extra."\">Click here to return to the main appointment page.</a> Error:".$error);
        break;
}

The problem is when the function is called it doesnt seem to be able to use the link identifier to access the mysql database

the following error is generated

Warning: mysql_select_db(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in myfile.php on line 31

Warning: mysql_query(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in myfile.php on line 33

Given the db_connect script is the first thing I call as a required script and it does work if the error function doesnt get called (ie no error occurse ) and that the dbconnect parameters are defined before the funtion is called.

Why do I get this error.....

The scope of the mysql connection is outside of the function.  PHP is not like a lot of other languages (Javascript) where a variable declared at the "base" level is automatically available to all functions below it.

You can either make the mysql connection global (not recommended) or pass the connection to your function...

function mysql_error_check($db_connect){
}

Ok then just so I can clarify this in my own head .

In the example above $time is the unique key for the database that in some cases a user may attempt to create a duplicate....I am adding 1 to $time and rerunning the INSERTION in my error function. 

However the variable $time is not passed to the function and therefore is not available within the function.  To enable me to do what I intend I will need to all the variables into the function

....maybe a function is not exactly what I need here.....

Will redesign I think

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.