Recycle that old pc into a MACINTOSH!

dj-kenpo

for those of you that may be like me and have an old pentium 4 (mine was a 1.7ghz) sitting in your closet, Id just like to say, recyle it into a hackintosh!

I need to test if sites work in safari, so I thought what the heck, I'll try it. the JAS version works perfectly. zero hiccups, it installed in  under an hour on my old pc, and I'm now running mac osx 10.4.8

I can now test my sites in all browsers right in my living room, without having to fork out cash on a mac that I wouldn't use for anything but testing anyways.

can't say how happy I am. as for legalities, I don't think there's anythign wrong with it if it's not your primary system, in my case, I'll use it to test sites every now and then, which helps to enrich the mac user experience, but sorry, not spending even $500 to do that if I can do it for free.

the 1.7ghz in my closet I found in the trash originally, so all and all, pretty cool.

full specs for those wondering,

p4 1.7ghz socket 478 (yes, the old non HT, non duo simply p4)

256mb ddr ram

40gb harddrive

integrated video.

ac97 sound

you really don't need anything steller, just stuff above pentium3.

again, they make wicked test platforms for testing browser compatibilty, hence why I posted it HERE on a PHP forum.

as for legalities, I don't think there's anythign wrong with it if it's not your primary system

If you didn't pay for OS X, then yes, it is illegal, actually.

Though I have two Macs anyway, do you have a link to the information you used to install on non-Apple hardware? Would be an interesting read...

I realize technically there's something wrong with it, I'm not a noob, I'm saying morally I don't find anything wrong with it as it's not my main system, as for links

http://www.thereformed.org/2007/04/25/howto-mac-osx-dell-latitude-c840-part-1/

that ones for a dell, just ignore the install choice part. it looks long, but over half of the stuff is just clicking buttons to format the drive to work as mac.

like I said, too me an hour including wait time. now that I've done it it would prob take 30minutes

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.