PHP alternative to <noscript>?

axelstudios

Hi guys -

I'm looking for a way to detect whether or not a browser has JavaScript enabled using php, rather than the client-side <noscript> tag...  I intend to have an alert bar show up at the top of my page only if JavaScript is disabled, or if I want to make an announcement (In the latter example, noscript wouldn't work).  There's also the possibility of showing both messages at the same time.  Any ideas?

If something similar to this has already been posted (I didn't find it), please redirect me...

As others have rightly pointed out - php can't detect if javascript is enabled or not.

What you can do though (if you are ok with the banner only showing on any page AFTER the firts page the user visits) use javascript to add a variable to the end of each link OR alter the value of any submit buttons - in the processing script you could look fro these - if they are present then js 'is' on. (I say 'is' as someone could put this in themselves but theyed have to really want to...)

just at the top of your pages... put a...

<noscript><span style="font-size:24px;color:red;">You need to have javascript on to view this page</span><div style="display:none; visible:hidden;"></noscript>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.