Same Page Loading Quicker In IIS Than Apache... Why???

eggerda

Hello,

Currently I have a very long webpage (a lot of HTML...pretty good size file) running on a shared Microsoft web server at a hosting company.  In order to get it to load faster in browsers, I basically chunked the page up into tables.  Most browsers don't wait for all of the HTML to be downloaded if you have your page in tables.

They basically display each table as it downloads, which is great for dialup users.  At least they can see the top table of information before the rest of the page downloads.

Anyway, a dialup user hitting this MS server gets the first table in 3-4 seconds.

I'm in the process of "going live" and moving this site to my dedicated Apache webserver at a very good hosting company.

It takes this same page 5-6 seconds to load and display the top table over dialup...

I just got done trying PHP gzip compression, but it increased the time this top table took to display because I believe the browser is waiting to download ALL of the compressed HTML before displaying...

Does anyone have any ideas how I can speed up the display of that top table?  Any performance tweaks I'm overlooking in Apache?

Let me know...  I appreciate any ideas.

Thanks,

Dan

If your looking for a very fast webserver with no overhead, Id suggest lighthttpd.

As for apache, there are a few tweaks. Disable .htaccess files etc. I dont have a complete listing to hand. Im sure google will help you.

-steve

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.