Building a CMS

tallberg

I'm 6 months into php.

I’ve build some basic CMS's in a very procedural way.

I’m now looking to build a more reliable OO CMS for a client that can have:

• forums
  • diaries
  • events listing - calender.
  • ect.

I feel it is important to build it my self so i can change things as I like as apposed to using a CMS like drupal.

Can anyone recommend a book or resources that might help?

PHP 5 Objects Patterns and Practice is the name of a the book (I believe).  It's by Apress so that should help you find it.  I'd recommend it if you're new to OO programming as the book covers most of the basics so you can get up to speed.

After that I'd search for and read about Model View Controller, separation of concerns, templating, data abstraction, loose coupling, and anything you find along the way.  The goal in making the application OO is that it will be easy to extend in the future (i.e. you could swap out any part of the application without changing lines of code in the rest of the application), and easy to maintain (for instance if you change your table structure do you have to change your Controller, many views, and your model? If so then you're application is tightly coupled to your table layout), so don't worry too much about keywords like coupling, encapsulation, etc.  Understand what they are, but focus more on how to acheive the real goals and along the way you'll execute all those keywords.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.