template suggestions

Zuggy

Hey all,

I'm new to php, I actually got dropped into it for an internship with no previous experience with any programming besides HTML and CSS. What I would like to know is what are some good suggestions for a template engine that uses HTML and CSS. I need something that's fast since this project is already going to be slow due to Microsoft Access as the backend database.

Also I might be using AJAX with the site and I came across SAJAX in another post, so that might be another consideration with the template engine but I don't if that would be something that would effect what template engine I use or not.

I have something available that is very simple.  It won't do anything fancy like construct HTML for you, but it will let you separate the presentation and reuse elements of the view.  You write everything in orindary PHP in ordinary PHP files, but the files are included and compiled on the fly (unless you opt to use the caching mechanism).  If you're interested in checking it out just follow the link in my signature.

That said if you're interested in something a little more heavy weight (in terms of file size, features, learning curve, etc) then check out Smarty (smarty.php.net I think) or Smarty lite (branch project with reduced file size and functionality).  Those are probably you best bets.  Realize that smarty has its own syntax, but it's easy to learn.  Overall I really like Smarty the only reason I went and made my own thing (and other utilities written for PHP) was because I wanted something that was more light weight.

an article worth reading:

http://www.massassi.com/php/articles/template_engines/

both a 'why' and 'how to' of templating.

mixed with a solid JS library (i like mootools for both ajax and other stuff like effects) you cant go far wrong. I'm personally not liking most of the template engines/frameworks with built in AJAX support as they tend to be tied to a particular one, and it can be a pain to untie them, hence my preference to do it all this way...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.