Giant word database?

Azu

Does anyone know of a giant database of words? Just most of the English ones? With a field stating which type it is (Noun, verb, etc)?

I'm willing to pay a few hundred dollars for it if if it includes 90% or more of English words and what type they are.. although free would be nice..

I'm going to use this for a random sentence/story generator I am making..

Oh and I don't care if it is in mysql format or csv format or whatever, as long as it's parseable.

Thanks, I need to have some kind of info about what kind of word it is though, or else I can't do anything with them except make a totally random string of a bunch of totally random words (E.G. car tree ran blue the) which would be pretty pointless and useless.. can you please tell me if you know of a URL on that page that has says if it is a verb or noun or whatever? There is like 100 links and it will take me a while to read all of those websites, so I am hoping maybe you know of which one? o_o

As I said, I don't know these word databases and I don't know a word database that has the info you need.

I think you should take a rather small word database (you don't need the giant ones- they have words lots of people never heard of), and using php, query dictionary sites to fetch for each word it's info- to find out if its a noun, verb etc'  (using curl and regex I suppose). Then store the info in a database or whatever you like.

That would take time, but if you are willing to pay hundreds of dollars for something like that, I think it's worth the effort (and the money you will save).

Orio.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, I was thinking of doing that, but I'm worried it might not be legal to scrape all their words and stuff. It could eat up some bandwidth and the owner might get mad. :s

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.