opinion needed and some help too...

ardyandkari

ok i have a friend (dave) who is selling air purifiers.  he is selling to doctors and they are selling to their customers.  what he wants is a page where the patient can go and input the doctors code and it will email dave telling dave the doctor who sold the machine so the doc can get a percentage. 

he is telling me to go to some other guy, but he has a shopping cart where you can input a discount code. i dont know if that is what he wants really, but i thought that php would be the best way to go here...database manipulation, etc is easy with it, and i wouldnt have to get a whole program installed on the server.

also, does anyone know a good shopping cart software with a discount code area just in case that is what he wants??? i need it to be simple to use and install.  and if paypal can do this that counts also.

thanks in advance.

ardy

I'm not 100% clear on this. Ok, so 'Dave' is selling to 'doctors' who are selling to patients. If 'Dave' is selling them to the 'doctors' then why does he need to know from the patient what doctor sold it to them? Doesn't 'Dave' already give the 'doctors' a break on the price when he sells it to them? Who, in turn, sell it to the patient at a profit?

Aside from all that, if 'Dave' isn't selling the product directly to the patient then there's no assurance that you can get the patient to come to your site and enter a code. Now, let's say that 'Dave' does sell directly to the patient and the patient is referred by the 'doctors' to come to the site and buy. In that case you could use an affiliate program that would track the referrals from the docs and their sales.

There's plenty of carts that can do this or have the ability to monitor referrals as well as provide discount codes. All I do is install and set up ecommerce sites.

i am not sure as to how this is working actually, i dont know if he is selling to the doctors or if he is basically using them as salespeople.

i am assuming that he is using them as salespeople and they need their percentage.  i have little to do with that end of the system.  he just wants me to make a site for him...

i know, pretty frustrating.

thanks for the quick reply

Not really frustrating. Just need to fully understand. The way it was explained made it sound like the doctors were buying the items from Dave at a wholesale price then selling it to the patients for retail price which would then pocket them the diff.

If that's not the case and Dave is really selling the items to the patients and the docs are just referring then you need some type of affiliate/referral system. It's best that if in this case that you have the patients come to Dave's website, buy the item and as part of the checkout process enter the doctor's ID before they can purchase. That will track the sales. The key is, though, that the patient actually knows the doctor's ID. If they don't then it won't work. One way to make sure that doesn't happen is to provide also a list of the doctors and their ID so they can pull that up and make sure they have it right.

ok...had a meeting with dave and found out what he needs...

he needs a page where he can have the doctor or customer go on and purchase the purifier.  what i am looking at is using paypal...gonna check if you can use discount codes with paypal...if not, i will have to use a program of my own.

does anyone know of a good shopping cart software...very basic, but with the discount code area?

thanks alot.

ardyandkari

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.