Why me and not others? This line only works if it is below the HTML element....

bobleny

What is the difference between this:

<html>
<head>
<script type="text/javascript">
	document.getElementById('login_button').innerHTML = "George";
</script>
</head>
<body>
	<div class='right_panel_box'>
		<div class='right_panel_text_lable'>Login</div>
			<form action=''>
				<div class='login_input'><input type='text' name='username' size='15' value='Username' onkeyup='CheckUsername(This.Value) /></div>
				<div id='check_username'></div>
				<div class='login_input'><input type='password' name='password' size='15' value='Password' /></div>
				<div id='check_password'></div>
				<div id='login_button'></div>
			</form>
	</div>
</body>
</html>

and this:

<html>
<head>
</head>
<body>
	<div class='right_panel_box'>
		<div class='right_panel_text_lable'>Login</div>
			<form action=''>
				<div class='login_input'><input type='text' name='username' size='15' value='Username' onkeyup='CheckUsername(This.Value) /></div>
				<div id='check_username'></div>
				<div class='login_input'><input type='password' name='password' size='15' value='Password' /></div>
				<div id='check_password'></div>
				<div id='login_button'></div>
			</form>
	</div>

</script>
</body>
</html>

Hmm? Let me give you a clue, one works, and the other doesn't. I don't get it, it should.  It's supposed to write "George", in the login_button <div> tag. I have another script that works, I just don't get it.

Why do I have to have the line below the element, and other people don't? I'm confused...

Any ideas?  ???

The code ......onkeyup='CheckUsername(This.Value)...... should have another single quote

inside the html element to close the listener, It should not operate in either so you are

doing well to say the least since it is an error.

As for the code not operating, Do not use document.getElementById from the head of the

HTML document because it is out of scope unless it is returned as part of a function or

used in an object.

One more detail, If you did not know it , a DIV is almost another document body in the

document hierarchy layed out by the script engines and for effect of scope it is.

Two things always need to occur, Always put a script after the HTML in the body and the

old method of accessing a DIV is document.getElementById('MYDIV').document.getElementById('insidediv2).style.visibility='hidden';

The first script will run the Javascript before the browser writes the div tag, so it will look for the div tag but can't find (error, the object haven't loaded)

The second one will run the script after.

To be safe, always make sure your page loads before trying to access element. You can add an onload even in the body tag and run a function from there

<head>
	function write_UN(){
	}
</script>
</head>
<body onload="write_UN();">

Also, This.value should be this.value (lower case letters)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.