.htaccess help!!!!!

SamShade

i'm very new 2 php & while tryin 2 implement a cgi database script i changed the htaccess file of the folder. for whatever reason i wasnt able to get that to work so now im attemptin to use php.

here's my dilemna. i dont even know where to start. when i run a php script in html or php file it receive a '500 Internal Server Error'. I've tried changin permissions still no luck. so i've come to the conclusion it must be somethin with the htaccess file.

all im tryin to do is create a VERY simple database-driven page which lists the records in my database. i used PHPMyAdmin to create the database so as far as i can see all i need to is to figure out how to connect to it. plz help

Upload a new .htaccess file in it's place. Either leave it empty, or place proven code into the replacement file. Use notepad or an editor that you know will not add any extra code. Then test your script.

There are lots of information on htaccess... try a google search on "fun with .htaccess" for pages with useful tips.

Best  :)

i dont think this error means he doesnt have php installed, if he didnt, he wouldnt get a 500 erro. it would just show the page, with the code, just like my host does not have ColdFusion installed, so if try to run a .cfm file, it just shows the whole source without executing any code.

my server def has php installed, i've ran a phpbb forum before, what i'm simply trying to do is execute a php database search to retrieve all entries from a csv file and show info in html table. i can figure out the php code to do that but i just dont know what my first step is to implement it. if that helps....

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.