Creating a mosaic...

textbox

Hello, im looking at creating a dynamic mosaic and was wondering if anyone has attempted this, or knows anything about it.

I wish to allow users to upload or send in images that will be resized and placed with the mosaic which will obviously create an image of some sort.

Any help or pointers would be great.

Thanks

nick

;)

I think your idea has great artistic potential!

If I were to tackle this I might try...

1. Establish paramaters for submittable pictures

a. size  -- either kb or image width and extension (or resize on the fly to your specs as you mentioned)

b. content type

2. Use php to track submissions and image location if using css on the "canvas"

a. Arrange photos using css x,y coordinates generated from a combination of mysql and PHP, and maybe include a z-index for visual depth 

b. For more of "grid" montage, run a query to select pictures, and  randomly arrrange them into a table grid that grows per number of available images... maybe adding colspan tags or rowspan tags to give it a more random effect -- maybe shifting on one load to a large horizontal scrolling canvas and another to vertical

3.  Have fun!

styled unordered list is what would benned to display the images in 'grid' layout - they will then at least flow with the document and look good in a fluid layout.

creating the mosaic images would be relatively straight forward. you are basically pixelating the image and placing the 'grout' as a grid.

just wonderign about the pixealtion part...

maybe create an newimage from the image to say 10% its size. add in a grid of white lines and the blow it back up to original size...

Thanks for all that feedback.

What I actually aim on be able to do is have a base picture of a recognisable character such as John Lennon or Elvis for an example in this case.

Display this pixelated image to start with.

As users upload images the script works out their colouring and places them in an acceptable slot that builds up the original image.

In short, it will be a collection of tiny images, that build up a recognisable image, in the form of a mosaic. 

I have seen this done in flash, but imagine php can do it using some algorithm or some sorts :S

Ta Again everyone

Nick

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.